Counselling Subsidy Programs

First Peoples

There are two federal programs that provide subsidy for counselling to First Peoples and are administered by Health Canada. The Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) program provides coverage for up to 15 one hour sessions within a 20 week period for eligible First Peoples. To be eligible, you must not already have access to mental health services through a private insurance plan or with another organization.

The Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program (IRS RHSP) provides up to 20 one hour sessions over a 12 month period to eligible First Peoples. To be eligible, you must be a former IRS student or family of a student. Family is defined as a spouse/partner, those raised by or raised in the household of a former IRS student and any relations who have experienced effects of intergenerational trauma associated with an eligible family member’s time at an IRS.

As a registered provider with Health Canada, I can support you to access these benefits. Visit Health Canada to learn more about eligibility and applying for NIHB and RHSP benefits.

Foster care sexual abuse

The Residential Historical Abuse Program (RHAP) provides limited counselling subsidy to people who currently live in BC and were sexually abused while in provincial foster care before the age of 19.

I can support you to apply for these benefits. Learn more about applying for RHAP benefits from Vancouver Coastal Health.

Victims & witnesses of crime

The BC provincial government administers the Crime Victim Assistance Program (CVAP), which provides services including counselling to victims and witnesses of crimes and their family members. In most cases, you need to apply within one year of the crime. Charges do not need to be laid to access services. Victims of sexual assault after July 1, 1972 can apply for benefits at any time. Family members of victims of sexual assault must apply within 1 year of the crime or when the crime became known to them.

As a registered service provider with CVAP, I can support you to access subsidized counselling services for these traumatic experiences. Learn more about how to apply for the CVAP counselling subsidy.

Automobile accidents

If you have been involved in an automobile accident, then you may be eligible for subsidized counselling services as part of the Insurance Corporation of BC (ICBC) section VII rehabilitation fund. Speak to your lawyer or contact your ICBC adjuster.

As of April 1, 2019 ICBC will be changing how they manage and pay for Registered Clinical Counsellor claims. See below for current and future coverage rates for counselling with a Registered Clinical Counsellor.

Current coverage
$100 per hour with an RCC

After April 1, 2019
$120 per treatment with an RCC
12 pre-authorized treatments within the first 12 weeks of the date of the accident causing the injury

As a registered provider with ICBC, I can support you to apply for these benefits.